On the assembling of his second Synod, in June 1885, the Bishop was able to say that he had visited, with a few inconsiderable exceptions, all the various missions of his extensive diocese. Regarding this visitation, he said:
"After visiting this noble diocese, and seeing the splendid farms and commodious houses to be met with in every county, and after carefully visiting all the cities, county towns, and thriving villages which stud the land. I am confident that wealth, and to spare, exists among us for every possible want of the Church. The great desideratum is to reach and utilize this wealth for the glory of God and the advancement of His name."
Bishop Baldwin's earnest appeals on behalf of Christian liberality told for good upon the funds of the diocese. In 1888 the Mission Fund debt had been reduced to five hundred dollars, and seven new churches were built and opened during the year. The Bishop in that year attended the Lambeth Conference.
The scheme for a new and grand cathedral, inaugurated by Bishop Hellmuth, having practically failed, the building known as the Chapter House was disused, and Bishop Baldwin restored St. Paul's to its original position as the cathedral of the diocese, appointing at the same time the Rev. Canon Innes Dean of Huron.
In 1880 the number of clergymen in Huron Diocese was 103. In 1892 this number had increased to 139. The churches also had increased during the same time from 203 to 246. But the Bishop felt that his diocese was undermanned. "What we need," he said, in 1892, "is a new class of young, unmarried men, who, for the love they bear to Christ, and for the glory of His great name, will be willing to go out as deacons, at least for a few years, without any stipulated salary, and depending only on that great God, who knoweth our wants, for their daily sustenance and support."
In 1893, Bishop Baldwin, who had returned from a trip through Egypt and the Holy Land and elsewhere, gave his Synod a graphic description of things he saw. The relics of the ancient past, the ruins of imperial Rome, and the traces of early Christian struggles, set the Bishop's heart aglow with the truth and force of the Holy Scriptures and the great religion which has ever been their faithful guardian.
Notwithstanding the size, wealth and favoured situation of Huron Diocese, Bishop Baldwin was obliged to state last year (1895) that it was burdened altogether with a debt of about $17,000. This is due, no doubt, to the extraordinary financial depression which, for the last few years, has visited not only Canada, but almost every quarter of the globe. This, however, has not altered the attitude of the diocese towards outside missionary work. Huron is the only diocese (except the missionary Diocese of Algoma, which, according to its ability, does the same) that sends the money collected for domestic and foreign missions absolutely unappropriated to the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society.
Huron College has also undergone some difficulties. Rev. Principal Miller resigned recently, but Rev. B. Watkins, from Lennoxville has been appointed in his place, with the title of Provost of the Western University, which is now being revived.
Bishop Baldwin, in his charge of 1895, gave a masterly defense of the Athanasian Creed, and this is in keeping with the evident aim of his life, viz., to champion throughout the Divine origin and strength of the Christian religion, so that it may be established everywhere as the great power of God.
The above was published in 1896
Bishop Baldwin died on 19 October 1904 in London, Ontario after suffering a paralytic stroke. He was buried in St James' Cemetery, Toronto. Bishop Baldwin was succeeded as Bishop of Huron by The Most Rev'd David Williams (1859-1931).